Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Home!

Welcome to my Christmas home
I have to laugh when I say that, because I don't really decorate that much, 
compared to others, my home feels like a ton of clutter...
like I have a really hard time waiting until Epiphany to put everything away,
I can't wait each year to clean it all up on New Years day! 

Then my heart feels at peace.
Am I the only one that feels like that?

here's our wreath.
Tom bought it from some kids selling door to door the first year we moved here
I hate it.
If wreaths were not so stinkin' much money, 
I'd get a simple one with red berries.
Every year I look at them, but the practical side of me
says, we don't really need a new wreath, ours is fine.
See?
Every year, this wreath teaches me humility.

(besides I'll put it away on New Years--haha)
 Stockings are hung by the fireplace with care
(no we don't use our fireplace...we should, but we don't know how)
The bench blocks little ones from playing inside
and breaking the doors
Tom's mom made those stockings, they are beautiful.


 Our nativity is up 
My parents gave this to us for a wedding gift
(our anniversary is Friday)



 Fake tree up
I think fake trees are ugly.
But, they are easy, that's for sure!
and in the dark, when the lights are on, who cares?
Hmmmm...not sure where those bottom ornaments went.....
I can make an educated guess who took them though

 My favorite ornaments, 
my babies at Christmas.
A baby at Christmas is such a blessing.
 (I blubbed their names out for the picture)


 Presents wrapped and under the tree!

 My favorite Christmas candle is "Sparkling Snow" Oh, it smells soooo good!
My grandmother made the little house, years ago, it holds my Christmas cards
(can you see Christine?)
It's even more special this year, since she passed away this past fall.

 Mistletoe!! 
For lots of extra kisses!


 My kitchen window...we actually have a lot more snow now...

 Our advent wreath and countdowns in the windows
I know, I know, there's that dang coffee again.
It's just so easy to have it for breakfast, 6 points done, no thinking 





 Advent wreath messed with a lot....

 Christmas cookies made...
 Christmas helpers in zipper jammies....
waiting patiently

Cookie Cutter Cookies
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons milk
Heat oven to 400 degrees. 
Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
 Mix baking powder and flour in bowl.
 On low speed, gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until combined.
 Add milk; beat until dough masses around beaters.
Divide dough in half or thirds (whatever you prefer).
 Lightly flour work surface and roll out dough to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut shapes.
Bake for 10 minutes.
 ( I usually bake them for 14, so I suppose it depends on your oven)
Cool and frost.
(I usually double this recipe)
Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs milk (or more depending on how thin you want your frosting)
 food coloring--divide the frosting and color whatever you want

Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. When all sugar has been mixed, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
Makes 3 cups.
Makes enough for cookie recipe to be doubled.

 This year, I baked the cookies the night before
 because my brother's family came to decorate and only had a couple hours to be here
 Busy kids
(football game in the background--go Vikes!)
 Lots of little helpers....
 My sister in law, Kris, made those peanut butter blossom cookie thingy's
My  kids LOVED them!
(I've never made them!)
They do have to be made with Hershey's Kisses,
 not those stupid fake chocolate stars!
 It was a busy day, this was the only picture I got of these two big helpers!
 Brett and Jedi
 Justin, my silly daughter, and Lexi
 My oldest daughter always ready with a smile!
 Cookies!!!!
 Come on over for some Christmas cookie masterpieces!
Just wanted to show you a picture of the girls

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for welcoming us into your lovely home. What a nice visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home looks so cheery and fun. I could be a kid at your house. Those cookies are indeed masterpieces. Man I miss gluten at Christmas! I hope my gluten free ones turn out. I have an uglier wreath on my door. Does that make you feel better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, no gluten at Christmas would be so hard. There are so many alternatives now...like I have a monster cookie recipe that uses no flour...there is oatmeal and peanut butter....I think those are the main things....They satisfy that cookie craving. (I was gluten free for Simeon for 5 months)

      Yes, it makes me feel better that you have an uglier wreath....Ours looks good in the picture for some reason, but in person, it is just ugly. My good friend lives a few blocks away, she said the same thing, her husband bought one from those same kids and she hates it. (so it's not just me!)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing..always love seeing your pretty house and pretty family. That girl cousin has such blue eyes like you! must get it from your brother.

    What a fun thing to do with cousins. Nice that they come over and share time like that.

    That is a neat idea for a wedding gift. I will remember that for my kids! It is a beautiful set...none broken!!!! Happy Anniversary coming up. Hope you two get a date in.

    Wish I would have thought of taking a picture of babies at Christmas! Your babies are all so adorable.

    oh...and I see me!!! Nice to have special things from loved ones to remember them by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexi does have the "Foster" eyes...my mom's side of the family. My brother (her dad) AND I are the only kids in our family that have them (my sister has green and my little bro has big brown eyes) My cousins, the ones that my mom's brother married my dad's sister (you follow me?) one of those also has the "Foster" eyes...

      I don't think those are actually taken on Christmas day...except maybe Simeon, because he was just freshly home, but the others are just pics from that month.

      I need to get our pics on the wall...no wall space, with more kids in school, they've taken over our walls with their projects!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely Christmas home and family! Thank you for sharing your Christmas cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, my friend....
    Love it all!
    So perfectly Christmas-y!
    I'm coming over, k?
    Call Christine...we will wear our jammies, watch movies, and eat cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, the wonderful blessings of living in these times, we are brought together to share our lives and friendships online...also the sad part of our world, because we will realistically probably never meet in real life. Why can't we all move to one state and live together in a few neighborhoods?

      Christine is coming tomorrow--come on over! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I do wish I could come over and enjoy some cookies with you and let our kids play together!
    Your Christmas home is so warm and inviting, I just love 'knowing' you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest son would love some boys to play with!!

      I love knowing you too!

      Delete
  7. You are so sweet to give us a Christmas tour! I love it. I see a ton of hands-on-love poured into it all. The memories y'all are making - they will last a lifetime to be handed down to each generation. Just as your grandma's spirit will continue to be a light, especially in this beautiful season of Advent! Advent blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all? You are becoming a true Texan aren't you Patty?
      Thank you for the kind words, love you!

      Delete
  8. Everything's so pretty. I like it all simple like that. We have our Advent wreath on the table. Oh, and a little mini tree for a countdown thing up. Yep, that's pretty much it. But we are getting a tree today!!! My advice, never move at Thanksgiving time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I have always wanted a wreath and I don't have one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!