Monday, April 11, 2011

Thinking Things

This has been on my mind since I read a pamphlet in Mexico,

I'd brought along to read with my prayers during an early morning sunrise:


(from Saint Maria Faustina Kowalski's diary 153)

One day, I saw two roads. One was broad, covered with sand and flowers, full of joy, music and all sorts of pleasures. People walked along it, dancing and enjoying themselves. They reached the end without realising it. And at the end of the road there was a horrible precipice; that is, the abyss of hell. The souls fell blindly into it; as they walked, so they fell. And their number was so great that it was impossible to count them. And I saw the other road, or rather, a path, for it was narrow and strewn with thorns and rocks; and the people who walked along it had tears in their eyes, and all kinds of suffering befell them. Some fell down upon the rocks, but stood up immediately and went on. At the end of the road there was a magnificent garden filled with all sorts of happiness, and all these souls entered there. At the very first instant they forgot all their sufferings.


Now, I grew up knowing this and believing it.


But, it struck me this time, reading it.


Reading her actual vision


What struck me was the number falling into hell.


"And their number was so great that it was impossible to count them."


Wow.


She didn't say that about the path to Heaven.


definitely something to think about.




Another thing I've been thinking about is from my


"Little Black Book"


(6 minute meditations for Lent)


The Sunday Readings


Prior to the Second Vatican Council, the Sunday readings generally consisted of two Scripture passages (the Epistle and Gospel), and the same readings were used every year. With only minor exceptions, the readings were basically the same ones promulgated by Pope Pius V in 1570


But the council fathers wished to expand the selection of the readings, so that a "more significant part of the Sacred Scriptures will be read to the people over a fixed number of years."


One of the changes that resulted was the addition of a third reading.


"The treasures of the Bible are to be opened more lavishly so that a richer fare may be provided for the faithful at the table of God's world." -Sacrosanctum Concilium#51



I think this is one of the wonderful things Vatican II brought to our faith.


Among many other things.


Vatican II was meant to be a good thing and it did do a lot of good.


Yes, I agree, there were a lot of things that went bad,


but, I believe that has much more to do with each Bishop


than the actual documents.



And....



Sunday we had the Deacon from a parish in our cluster Parish.

He had a wonderful homily,

(that I actually heard, my littles were very good)

He talked about "upgrades" and computers and compared that to us.

We, the "computers"

need upgrades every year.

This year's upgrade is called

"Lent 2011 Upgrade"

Will we choose to "upgrade now"?

or

will we choose

"Remind me later"?


Oh, Lord, make me a Saint.

Help to upgrade myself right now.

Change me,

mold me,

make me more like You.

Amen.



I have lots of vacation stuff....lots of movie stuff to post....just no time to do it!

Hoping to post more this week.


Can I just say:


HELP!!!

I've gone on vacation and can't come back to life!!

I have no energy,

I'm tired and crabby

and

I'm

having a heck of a time getting back into life!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Jamie, really made me think about all I need to seriously concentrate on.
    Have a blessed rest of the week.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I didn't read this post before I posted my brief "I'm still here" post earlier this morning. I CAN SO RELATE!!! and, I haven't even been on a vacation. Prayers for you today, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping and commenting!